Amway Mail

Page 33

Subject:  Finished your Amway story...

Wed, 12 Aug 1998

just a line to say that you reached my wife and I way over in Japan.
She was almost conned into pulling her friends into Amway until we
researched info like yours as well as in Japanese on the internet here.
thanks

Subject:  Amway Page

Wed, 12 Aug 1998

Great Page!!  I am sure you have heard this plenty by now, but
you didn't fail, only Phil did.

I played the amway game for a short while and had the usual range
of experiences.  My upline was the typical dirtbag, but fortunately
I didn't really lose any money.  I down right refused to attend
any more events after the first two and I spent a lot of time
getting people to fill out the MCI calling cards application forms where
you got $10 for every person who got accepted.  So from that
I had broke about even when I got away.  I know I was very fortunate
as everybody I had met was in very serious credit card debt or was
pretending not to be.

Keep up the good work

Subject:  Amway or the Con-way

Thu, 13 Aug 1998

Your webpage about Amway is beautifully written.  I am presently being
approached to join a pyramid scheme called Showcase Distributors (or Rexall
I think) that sales health products.

Armed with you information I will try to persuade the fellow pursuing me to
quit.

Subject:  Your Amway story (part 2)

Thu, 13 Aug 1998

You mean you had to spend $$ to be in business for yourself?  $2000
alone in travel costs for just one year?  Unbelievable!!  I'll even bet
they wanted you to work at it too!  What scam artists those Amway folks
are.  And by the way, it's Amway Distributor, not rep.  Of course, if
you'd have signed up, you'd know this.

Hey, just for kicks, go ask the owner of the company you work for what
it took in $$ to get his or her business started.  And then ask them how
much it takes in expenses to keep it going every year.  I've had a
business before Amway and let me tell you pal, it cost me bundles more
to get it going and the same to keep it going.

As for products, perhaps you didn't understand the marketing plan.
Through selling products (yes we do actually do some selling) and
enlisting other distributors, we all share in the profits.  The
distributor with the most "width" profits the most.  Nevermind where
they are in the LOS.  It took us 4 months to get to the point where our
profits covered the cost of our personal products.  Of course, I know
your grocery store will offer you the same deal some day.  As for tool
costs, I considered it no different than the costs associated with
college except a lot cheaper.  The education I received from all those
expensive functions, books, and tapes helped me wayyyyyy more than my
college education ever did financially.

No, Amway isn't "get rich quick" or even easy.  But it sure beats the
retirement plan most folks are faced with.  Just thought you should hear
yet another success story.

Successfully brainwashed,
RC

Subject:  Re: Your Amway story (part 2)

Fri, 14 Aug 1998

> The education I received from all those
> expensive functions, books, and tapes helped me wayyyyyy more than my
> college education ever did financially.

        In your case, so would reading a Cracker Jack box.

Fri, 14 Aug 1998

Really?  I just gave that stuff to my kids!!  Since your recommending
Cracker Jack boxes for educational purposes, you must be an alumni.  No,
judging from your comeback, you probably hold a PHD and graduated "cum
laude".  That would make sense considering all the recommendations on
your web site.  At least your consistent!

"In a battle of wits, it is poor sport to fight an unarmed man".  -
Samuel Clemens (that's Mark Twain)

In light of the above, I'll now leave you alone.  Your "snappy" Cracker
Jack comebacks are just too much for me.  But thanks for the insight.
Now I can better pre-qualify my prospects by asking them if they spend
lots of time reading Cracker Jack boxes.  It's obvious they would make
poor candidates.  Thanks again...............................

P.S. Any messages you send to me from now on will be blocked so don't
waste your time.  You're OUT!!
P.P.S.  You might want to fix some of the spelling errors on your web
site.  Using a dictionary would be a good source but you'll have to
watch out for the brainwashing stuff.

Fri, 14 Aug 1998

I thought your story sounded very familiar.  I had a very good friend who I
had a lot in common with.  Since Amway entered their life they have changed
so much.  Amway is their family now.  I am going to print your story and
send it to them.  Thanks for the info.

Fri, 14 Aug 1998

Read:  Success is a Choice by Rick Pitino, or Roaring 2000 by Dent.

Why?

Subject:  Your Amway page...

Sat, 15 Aug 1998

I am sorry you were not succesful with the buisness...but you probably tried
to do everything on your own....that's the failure! Most of my family is in
the buisness and they are growing in wealth everyday..but they didn't do it on
thei own...that's not the way this buisness works! Maybe if you weren't so
AGAINST this $7billon Company you would see they have had some rocky times but
now they are DEBT FREE! Do the math and research yourself...we don't need to
lie. I believe you need to update your story. I know a diamond couple who
adopted 10 Russian children. Now if that is not a big step to reach out to
those in need I don't know what is. The people who are now successful in Amway
HELP OTHERS DO THE SAME! If you don't do that then yes you WILL fail! I f you
are in it just for the money..you WILL fail! In fact whenever we show the
plan...the first thing out of our mouths is"We are not here to make any
promises...we are not here to promise you $1,000,000."We tell them they must
WANT to help others become successful. If you don't have THE HEART...not THE
WITZ..if you do not have the heart then you are and will fail miserablely.
Sorry to say..but this Company makes $28 milloin dollars an hour! Whether you
are for it or against it..Amway is ALWAYS going to be here....and to tell you
the truth..there are 2,000 MAJOR companies invovled with Amway so they must be
doing something right! You have Disney, Aiwa, Betty Crocker, Sony, Bose, Chaps
Ralph Lauren, Kelloggs, Nestlie,Vivitar, Toshiba, Kodak, ADDIAS...need I go
on.. you can see these Huge successful buisnesses see the good...so why don't
you pick yourself up and try again and if you don't want to sit back and
accept the fact that this buissnes WILL keep growing..so this page is not
really doing much..and remember the new Amway is Technology driven not sales
driven. Thank you for your time...and this not meant to stur a problem I am
just analyzing your previous experience with "THE NOW" and Amway has
changed....and those who change with it are becoming successful. And if you
need more..GSS Global Support Services is involved with the educational part
of the buisness. GSS is buisness partners with IBM, Microsoft,and Novell. So
they must know what they're doing. If you need one last bite to chew on..Amway
is GLOBAL they are in Switzerland,Hong Kong,Central America,France, Panama,
Germany, China, Coasta Rica, and New Zealand...wow I don't think Amway
could"scam"as you may say, thier way to all those location. You know as well
as I do it couldn't happen.Thank you again ,though for your time and your
thoughts..now hear mine and decide for yourself. Have a pleasant day.
                              A  soon - to - be Distribitor.

Subject:  amway

Sat, 15 Aug 1998

I was on netscape looking for information on Amway and found your address.
The reason I was doing research is because our son is very involved in Amway
and I am very concerned.  He has pretty much put his life on hold for Amway
and we would like to know what we can do.  It is soooooo frustrating because
he has so much potential and is so smart.  This email stuff is new to me, so
hope this reaches you.

Subject:  Your Amway story (part 3)

Sat, 15 Aug 1998

Please help!!!!

If all you say is true ( I do believe that it is) you can help me.....My
girlfriend is in the "business" (as she calls it) Amway and has just got a new
job out of college, constantly knocking it and saying that she has no worries.
Because in 2 years (she said 2 years) that she would be retired and make
millions.....She is not a stupid person and I am so disappointed that she has
fallen for this crap... I read your story and I am amazed about the situations
that you encountered and my girlfriend  and I have encountered...she disposed
of all her negative friends of Amway...and I am probably next...all my
friends, because they know my girlfriend have joined...it is a disaster...

I know you are not a shrink or anything...but this story is intriguing because
I went to the Internet hoping to find negative and positives about Amway.....I
will admit it sounds great that these people can make this much money, and now
I know how they do it.  Please if you can send me anything  that can
help....My girlfriend is not bad person, she has just got entangled in
something that she can be saved from....

P.S.  She left a pair of Matchbox20/ Third Eye Blind Tickets for one of those
meetings that you also encountered...

Thanks for your time if you can help.....

Subject:  Amway story part 3

Tue, 18 Aug 1998

Hello Dan,

My name is Ginny. I am Russell's girlfriend and I help him from time to
time to answer mail. I also have a story included in his Amway page if
you haven't already seen it.

I felt for you as I read your plight and just wanted to tell you that I
am very sorry you are having a rough time with this. You obviously care
about your girlfriend and want what is best for her.

Unfortunately she will probably have to find out the hard way what a
terrible mistake Amway is. I wish there was some way to make her see it
now, but that is unlikely. Perhaps you can convince her to look at the
web site and read it thoroughly. She could benefit from all the
multitudes of mail and information on Russell's site. The trick however
is getting her to read it with an open frame of mind.

If she is a true knowledge seeker she will.

I wish you luck in your endeavor to enlighten her to the dangers of what
she is involved in.

Sincerely,

Ginny

Subject:  Ginny's Amway story (part 3)

Sun, 16 Aug 1998

I did the Amway conventions, Dream Nights, and etc. for five years.  I
earned a profit and also spent lots of money.  I still buy the basic
products.  Yes, the business is like a "cult".  It is a shame.  Rich and
Jay did not want the business to head that way.  However, it has become
a "religious cult" geared to recruit people and not sell products.  I
like the products and the basic idea of the company and the business.  I
just cannot find anyone who wants to do the business as advertised in
the Business Manual.

For you, the best thing was getting out.  You were in a bad group.  I
saw many bad groups break-up and go down the tubes.  Hopefully, that one
will do the same.

Sincerely yours,

*****

An Amway distributor who is just buying products for himself.

Sun, 16 Aug 1998

You need to read Crown Bound a little deeper before you make your
blanket comments.  Read the section "IS Amway a Cult".  Afterwards, read
and think about your comments.

I think along the same lines about Amway. I am still an Amway
distributor and buy the core products for myself.  However, I do read an
article in debth before making my comment known before God and the
world.

Sun, 16 Aug 1998

you realy don't know what you are talking about. You should have researched
the Amway business more before you undertook to write
your story

Sun, 16 Aug 1998

THANK YOU for putting all this on the web. My best friend was pursued and
vigorously wooed by a guy named ****, whose marriage broke up two years ago
because (it was rumored in this small town) that his wife wouldn't join
Amway. Todd often talked about his "business" (although we knew what it
was) and my friend finally told him that she would never be in Amway. That
was fine with him, he said.  He said he loved her no matter what.

However, he would play those "stupid tapes" and encourage her to come to
meetings. She went to one, to humor him, and was disgusted with how it only
focused on money and how Todd "licked the boots" of his higher-up, a guy
named Brad. She said it was  gross.

Last week, he again tried to recruit her. When she reminded him that he had
said it was OK if she was never in Amway, he agreed and then dumped her.
He said, that the breakup is hard on him too, and he loves her, but it is
"all too much to explain."  He still wants to "have a relationship" with
her, but she has to understand that Amway is number one. My friend, being a
smart, pretty girl, is not willing to play second fiddle to Amway.  So I,
as a dutiful friend, am researching this bunch of weirdos to make her feel
better and try to reinforce that she is better off without that freakshow.
She just doesn't understand how he could say he loved her and then dump her
over amway, and after I show her all this, I think she will. She's
realizing that she was a prospect, all along.

He's going to be very very lonely.

Thanks again for the excellent information. You sound like a very
interesting person.

Subject:  Market America Multilevel

Mon, 17 Aug 1998

Hi Russell,   Have you any info on this company? They have some sort of
binary matrix sponsor thing......

Subject:  your amway story (part 3) and Eastern Europe

Tue, 18 Aug 1998

Good work man.

 I have just come back from a visit to my relations in Hungary.  My cousin
had told me before we went that she now has a new business - when I asked
what she said 'Its a marketing company'.  I didn't think anything of it and
just said I hope it goes well.  She is currently learning English and I
offered (being a good natured guy) to go along with her to her language
school if her tutor wished in order for the students to be able to practise
speaking English with a native speaker.  It was arranged that after the
lesson I would go with her while she had a business meeting.  OK no
problem.

It turned out that the meeting was with her tutor.  I was somewhat
surprised when the lady started telling me about this business opportunity.
At first I thought she was just politely telling me what they were in
business doing, but soon alarm bells started ringing (I had attended an NSA
water filter seminar years ago in order to find out why they were mailing
my deceased brother via my mothers address).  I AM open minded and
intelligent (I have worked in the computer industry for a little over 14
years) and felt that I listened attentively and asked sensible questions.
I asked about market saturation and quoted the old story about rice grains
and a chessboard. I questioned how everyone can make money  but was
obviuosly not prepared to counteract her information.

Anyway, after a quick Cappucino and a loooooooong chat, I walked away with
some tapes to look at during my holiday,  and a booklet detailing (HA!) the
Amway business.  I hadn't got round to listening to the tapes but was
already concerned that this was a pyramid con.  However,  my wife and I
were invited to go to this ladies house to test the products.  I warned my
wife that this might be but that this was a good chance to find out more
without commiting ourselves.  It was only the 4 of us, me, my wife,  my
cousin and her sponsor the tutor.  The products seemed alright but I was
not particularly convinced over the price.  I was not too worried as it was
all in Hungarian forints and the exchange rates obviously fluctuate and it
would not be fair to compare prices.  However,  when I said I would get the
info in the UK from a friend of mine who buys the goods for himself but has
not spoken to me about Amway I was told that 'No I shouldn't' and that 'She
will get someone 'Active' in the UK to speak to me.  I had visions of being
harrassed but decided to just agree for now.  The meeting concluded with
what I was told was a wonderful video about Amway.  It was actually 10
minutes of people arriving at what I think was a Network 21 (one of many
AMOs) diamond pin ceremony or some such.  Actually,  it was rather like
watching the Oscars, you know where all you see is a star arrive,  the car
door is opened for them they give a smile and a wave and disappear inside.
Hardly what I would call an informative video - together with my cousins
sponsor saying thats so and so arriving, hes really rich,  thats Mike
Wilson - you know, the tennis raquet man.  We got out as quick as we could.

I didn't listen to the tapes for several days but at last,  we were going
out on a trip that would take an hour each way so my wife and I decided to
listen to them.  Within 5 minutes we were laughing at the tape.  I had
never heard such absurd drive.  He (can't remember the name) was saying
that you should edify your upline,  if your upline does not seem to be good
then perhaps he has a differen dream from you.  He quoted the bible.  My
wife is a christian and I wasuntil I lapsed a few years ago - both of us
could not believe that they were linking the Bible (whether you believe in
it or not) with this crap.  I forced my self to listen to the complete tape
(one of 7 we had been given by now) against my wifes wishes for the rubbish
to be turned off.

Well that evening I told my cousin that I wanted no part in it.  I tried to
explain with the aid of an English-Hungarian dictionary what my fears were.
I showed her the words, religious, fanatic, cult.  I drew a diagram showing
a pyramid and that within  about ten levels you would have exceeded the
entire world population as distributors.  It then really struck me and I
did some hurried calculations and showed my cousin the level of turnover
that was being generated on tapes and so on (I had no idea at the time of
all the meetings etc that people would be expected to attend and pay for).
Well, we agreed to differ.

I then upon returning to work (I have no web connection at home at the
moment) I had a quick squint at Yahoo! and could not believe all the info
on Amway.  I have spent over two hours in total absorbed in it.  I have
printed a lot off in order to send to my cousin but as she does not speak
very good English, I am afraid she will take it to her sponsor to translate
(and censor!).  I am not sure what to do.  I guess I will send it and plead
with her to read it herself or to get it translated independently.

I think that the eastern europeans are going to be ripe for the picking as
they have not been exposed to the hype and evangelical type of marketing
that often comes from America and that most Americans and other western
Nationals have become immune to or at least wary of.  Any ideas on how to
prevent them from gaining to strong a foothold???  I havent.

Post this letter please but not my name or email address as the company I
work for has just taken on Amway as a client - I work for a Performance
Improvement company.  I personally will refuse to work on any aspect of the
account if it were to come my way which to date it hasn't.

Regards and all the best

Tue, 18 Aug 1998

Thank you for one of the most valuable sites on the internet.  You helped
me get some of my money back.  One thing I haven't seen mentioned on your
site or in the mail you receive is what it's like to deal with Amway
Corporation.  I found even the simplest correspondence with them to be a
long drawn out process, which they will usually mess up somehow.   For
instance, returning an item is a pain in the ***.  If you have to return
one thing to Amway, it is already worth standing in line at the grocery
store every week.

I joined in October 1997, ordered for myself a couple of times and realized
there was no way to save money or time in Amway.  Before I signed up, I
asked if the fee for the kit was refundable if I did not like being in
Amway.  My sponsors said it was.  In January, I told my sponsors that I
wanted to terminate my distributorship and get my initial kit fee back.
They said if I had used any of the products from the kit, I could not get
my money back.  They encouraged me to keep ordering for myself anyway
because I had to be a distributor for a year no matter what.

I found your web site a couple of weeks later and learned through your past
mail how to get my money back for the kit and still keep the products.  I
immediately wrote a letter and sent it certified mail to Amway, asking them
to terminate my distributorship and refund any outstanding vouchers.  Weeks
went by with no response and no certified receipt back to me.  Assuming it
got lost in the mail, I called Amway and explained what happened.  They
said fax a letter of termination to them and they will refund the money. It
took a couple more weeks to get a check.  It was about $10 short so I
called to find out why. They said the amount for the tax would be mailed
seperately.

Then, at least a month later, I got the certified receipt from my original
letter in the mail,  which was followed shortly by another set of refund
checks for the kit!  I am not going to cash the second set of checks, but I
will hang on to them until they figure out their mistake.

If this really were "my own business," I certainly wouldn't hire the folks
at Amway to run it.

Subject:  Amway--help!

Tue, 18 Aug 1998

Hello, there!  I am in need of some advice and would be very interested
in your opinion.  I have to admit that I didn't know very much about
Amway until I started researching it on the net.  I was surprised (and
pleased) to see that most of the literature is negative.  My boyfriend
has been in Amway for four years and thinks it is the greatest thing on
the face of the earth.  I have always thought that it is a cult, and
I've told him that on several occasions.  I think he's been totally,
completely brainwashed and it is starting to become a real source of
conflict.  In fact, we are on the verge of breaking up over my
reluctance to become involved in it.  At first, I didn't care that he
was involved in it, as long as he understood that I would NEVER follow
suit.  Now, after reading more about it, I'm uncomfortable with him
being involved in it also.  Do you have any words of wisdom for me?

Subject:  Re: Amway--help!

Tue, 18 Aug 1998

Hi,

I don't like to bear this sort of news, but here is the situation as I
honestly see it.

My cousin once asked my father whether he should date a girl who held
seriously different religious beliefs, and by "serious" I mean that the girl
and my cousin were both sincerely dedicated to their belief systems and
probably wouldn't convert.  I expected my father to say that if they really
love each other it shouldn't matter, they'll work through it.

Instead, he surprised both of us by saying that it wouldn't work out.  He
said words more or less to this effect: "You may get pleasure in each other's
company for a while, but what would happen in the long term?  Eventually you
would both become bitter because you couldn't make the other person see it
your way, you'd fight over what the kids would believe, and you'd never
respect each other fully.  There are plenty of women around who have beliefs
similar to yours, or believe less strongly than this girlfriend, so don't give
up and 'settle' over such a major difference."

You and I both recognize that Amway is almost like a religious belief.  And
if your boyfriend has been in it for four years (and I'd guess this means he
has been dating Amway longer than he has been dating you) then he is as
thoroughly entrenched in it as any person ever gets.  Amway people have been
known to consistently dump their "loser" friends.  Therefore, it seems to me
that you have to choose to either join Amway or agonize over your boyfriend
for a very long time and eventually be abandoned anyway.

I hate to sound harsh, but there it is.  The harder you try to change his
mind, the angrier he will probably get at you.  I wish I had better news for
you.  I hope you will make a choice that you will be satisfied with.

Subject:  Re:Amway

Tue, 18 Aug 1998

Hi!I have heard from my friend say about Amway & i'm trying
to find out more.Can you tell me if i should join the Company?Can you
tell me what Amway is?Hope to hear from you soon.

Will somebody PLEASE TELL ME why a person will come to my web page, read the introduction and nothing else, then write to me if I can tell them personally all about the Amway business? The answer is no. Sheesh.

Tue, 18 Aug 98

Dear sir,

I would like to comment on your statement that Amway teaches you how to
think and speak, etc.  I am a Federal Government Employee, and as such I
have been required to take a class and read a book "7 Habits of Highly
Effective People" by Stephen R. Covey and, also,  strongly encouraged to
read several books by authors such as Og Mandino.  These are the same
books promoted by Amway distributors.  Therefore, it could be deduced
that the Federal Government is telling their employees how to think.
 Maybe you should fire your guns at them if this is so wrong.

To me, sir, Amway is more than a business,  it is a way of life.  The
friends and associations I have made are priceless regardless of the
money I make.  I believe in the principles and beliefs held by many of
the distributors and feel that self-worth is a major promotion.  What is
wrong with this?

Sir, why is it you spend so much time bashing something that to you,
shouldn't be worth your time???

Tue, 18 Aug 1998

I have no intention of flaming you up. I will admit that Idid not read your
whole story,so I do not know how long ago you were looking at the plan,but
many things you stated may havr been correct at one time but they no longer
apply. My husband and I have been distributors for two years and have 14
people in our downline.(please do not say that is pathetic). Never once have
we deceived anyone,nor have we ever invited anyone to a meeting without
first telling them that it was to discuss the Amway business. We are upfront
about the cost of EVERYTHING including books, tapes , meetings(which are
once a week by the way)and the cost of shipping. The Amway corporation now
does cost comparisons of Amway products and other leading brands, I have
done my own local comparisons and I still believe that on a vast majority of
products we do save ourselves and our customers money and time. Having just
placed an order this evening I can tell you thatI ordered 21 items and the
shipping cost was $6.31. Considering the fact that I have a fifteen minute
drive to the closest grocery store and then have to drive across town to the
drug store ,let alone the fact that I do not have to take 3 kids with me I
am more than happy to pay $6.31 for the convenience.We do not receive tapes,
books or to tickets to events on a standing order basis. If our upline has a
book or tape that they think my husband or I will like, they lend it to
us.If we want it based on our own decision (not by means of a subliminal
message) we will purchase said book or tape.If I may digress for a moment  I
do purchase my cleaning products from Amway because they are by far the best
I have tried and yes some may cost a LITTLE more than others ,BUT if I feel
they work better than aproduct that costs less that is my personal decision.
I do not purchase products that cost me more just because it is in an AMWAY
CATALOGUE. Please do not make us all sound like brainwashed puppets . I am
proud to be able to stay at home and raise my kids (which I was doing long
before we became Amway distribtors)and if Amway helps pay a few bills a
month why shouldnt I pursue this. We give other people the opportunity to
see this business as we see it, a chance to use an excellent product and
make a few bucks on the side. I feel that the people you met at meetings you
attended were fanatical and unfortunatley turned you off a good opportunity
. My upline ahve become friends of ours but I have yet to go to then for
advice aon anythinf personal and very very rarely anything to do with our
amway  business .My husband and I have owned another businessfor 20 years
and survived various economic times ,and we have been together 20 years so
we feel our business and personal experiences  are more extensive than our
upline.Also we have not lost a single friend as the result of being in
Amway. If someone tells us that they are not interested then that is the end
of it. We do not harass or coerce people . Everyone has an opinion about
this business. All we ever ask peolpe is to let us give them the WHOLE
story, good and bad ,and let them make up their own minds.  Just please make
sure you have all the correct facts before you try to convince others  not
to do this. Thank you for this opportunity.

Wed, 19 Aug 1998

Hi Russell
I'm writing (does one "write" an email?) from South Africa where I joined
Amway last year.  I had to be talked into it, and, in fact, had to be
pressured before I would join.  I really couldn't afford it at the time
because
I am a single parent with five kids, but, I felt, I owed it to the children
to at
least try, since there was so much money to be made.   I have, to
date, made not a cent (American or South African) from my "Amway
Business", and have, therefore, lost the money I paid to join.  If I had
not
been pressured to join, I wouldn't have.  However, by the time my upline
had spent a substantial (by my standards) amount of time on me I felt
obliged to "repay" him by joining.  I have had little to do with the
company
since I joined, and, although I had to pay for the experience, I don't
regret
it since next time, I am forwarned and cannot be pressured again.
Have a good day.

Wed, 19 Aug 1998

I've spent much too much time researching Amway negatives today.  It's good
to have what I know to be true confirmed.  Amway is a cult.  I decided after
3 years that I was sick and tired of it.  I decided that I would not
participate anymore.  My husband continued to go for a while and has just
stopped the tapes.  Next goes the AMVOX.  I think the corporation has some
good products but I am going to have to switch to something else on
principle.  (Although today I have learned a new use for LOC).  I've printed
out a lot of stuff for my husband to read.  Maybe he will finally quit
without feeling like a LOOOOOOSSSSSEEEEERRRRR!!!!!!  Thanks for your part.

PS I'll read part 1 of your story while I wait for my son at soccer.  If I
like it I'll come back and print out more!!

Thu, 20 Aug 1998

The purpose of this letter is not to disparage anyone, rather it is
simply one person’s experience in the Amway business.

It was back in April of 1971 when a friend of mine walked into the
Kroger store where I worked as a cashier. In excited tones she exclaimed
to me how Bill Britt (then City Manager of Carrboro, N.C.) had just made
$60,000 selling something called "Amway" products. I did not know Bill
Britt personally, but had heard of him. Of course I was thrilled for his
sake, but I did not know how in the world this had anything to do with
me.

A few weeks later she told me what a great thing this Amway was, and
that I should attempt to sell it myself. I had no desire to get involved
with peddling soap door to door, but I was interested in looking at any
proposal which could improve my financial situation. She let me borrow
her "Career Manual" which I Iooked over that night. Frankly, I wasn’t
impressed. Seemed like too much work for me.  Gave it back to her, and
thanked her for her time.

Let me say at that time I was a pretty good prospect for the Amway
pitch. I was trapped in a dead-end job with no future. Long hours, low
pay, dull monotonous work.

Next month the husband of a co-worker told me about a terrific money
management program. Every time he went through the checkout line he
dropped a few bits and pieces. Didn’t know it at the time, but I was
being set up. In the meantime I was hearing all kinds of things about
Amway, and how people from all walks  of life were getting rich at it.
He drove me to an "opportunity meeting" at Bill Burch’s   (a Pearl
Direct who was sponsored by Bill Britt) house where I saw the plan for
the first time.

Bill Burch drew the circles then demonstrated some of the products.
Theoretically the plan would work, but it would depend on all of those
people going out and selling $100 worth of products. He then showed me
his scrapbook. It was filled with photocopies of checks from Bill Britt,
and later from Amway itself. That got my attention. Even if he only got
to keep half of what he received, it was still much more than I was
making as a cashier at Kroger. It was more money than my father had ever
made as an advertising executive!

I tried to show  it to several people, all of whom turned it down. My
sponsor then persuaded me to come with him to Charlotte to attend
something called a "rally"

Frankly it was an electrifying experience. There were about fifteen
hundred people in attendance. I had no idea so many people were involved
in this!

There was Dexter Yager, Bill Britt, and a lot of the other high-level
directs. I should have picked up on one thing. Why were these people
here on stage?  Wouldn’t this be a great day to be showing the Plan and
developing the business? I was told that they were there for only one
reason: To help us become as successful as they were! I was told that
they could be anywhere they wished, but that they were taking time out
of their lives to be with us and help us grow!

Have to admit one thing: Dexter does put on one hell of a show. There
was a lot of singing, and testimonials from higher ranking distributors.
Particularly moving was that  of Willie Bass, a fourth-grade dropout.
Obviously Amway had made a significant difference in his life for the
better. I was truly moved by this. I wanted so much to find someone just
like him, show him the Plan, and see him   go out and achieve the same
things Willie had! After the rally we went to a burger joint called the
"Big E" where Dexter mesmerized all of us. Every time he spoke, some
lower level distributor was holding a mike to his face, grasping every
word as if it coming directly from the Burning Bush!

I didn’t sleep at all that night, I was so excited. My sponsor and I
drove back to Chapel Hill, and I finally went to bed at around 8:00 A.M.
I was so excited I called a prospect whom I didn’t even know, went to
his house and showed him he plan. He and his wife did get into it.

Meetings didn’t  go as I thought they would. They had thirty no-shows in
a row! Factor in the time I spent with them, (gas etc.) as opposed to
doing a part-time job---well, you’re talking some serious money!
Eventually they did sponsor someone, who in turn sponsored  a couple.
Heard a lot of talk from  them about how they were going to blow Amway
wide open. I was all prepared to help them with their meetings, but
that’s all it was: Just talk! Never heard from these people again.

I sponsored six others over the course of two years. Had a real live one
who sponsored three  people the next two days, and before I knew it I
had a group in Columbia, S.C. One of the members wrote a check to me for
some products, and it bounced. I eventually collected it, but it sure
was an inconvenience. More gasoline, more wear and tear on my car!

By now I was at the $300 PV level. What little I made from that was more
than eaten up by trips to functions, book and tape purchases. Luckily
for me, at that time the tapes were only $3.00 a piece. Functions were
maybe $5 or $10.

What was wrong? I was doing everything  my upline was telling me to do,
and then some! In December of 1971 I even drove down to Ft. Lauderdale
just to hear Rich DeVos. I was the only member of the entire Britt
organization who did this. Like Dexter kept telling me, I kept hanging
in there, showing and showing the plan, all to no avail. Any questions I
had would be discussed at the meetings (which I had to pay for,
incidentally!)

The second Rally I attended opened my eyes somewhat. I was so eager to
see Dexter Yager again. (He does have that effect on some people).
Couldn’t get anybody in my group to attend, so it was just me, my
sponsor and his wife.

Again, I had a great time, but just a few things were bothering me. Very
conveniently located was a booth where "positive thinking" books and
motivational tapes could be purchased. I was told to make the check out
to Dexter Yager. Had been in retailing long enough to know that in these
quantities, Dexter was not selling these books at cost. At Kroger we
sold the same cassette tapes for less than fifty cents a piece. I’m sure
Dexter was buying them wholesale and was paying less than that for the
tapes. You’re talking about at least a two dollar profit per tape. And
there were thousands of them being bought by would-be Double Diamonds!

Got to know Dexter a little better the second time around. Actually,
when I had heard people talk about him in such reverential tones, I
expected to see a much older man. He was only 32. Seems Bill Britt got
in touch with him back in ‘69. Dexter was able to get him to drive out
to Charlotte, N.C. (about 120 miles) and show him the plan. He did this
by telling Bill Britt that he was 30 years old, and in the top two per
cent of the nation’s income bracket. Bill Britt got into the business.
He had little success with it at first. In his own recollections:

"Nine people in a row turned it down flat!" That changed after Dexter
Yager got involved. Being the city manager of Carrboro, N.C. Britt
commanded enough clout to get five couples to his house for an
opportunity meeting, which Dexter put on himself.
Let’s just say this scenario was very much the exception rather than the
rule. Would to God all rookie Amway distributors could have this break!
I don’t begrudge his success because of this, but be honest. He had a
lot of advantages in getting started that the average Joe Blow Amway did
not!

Back to the Rally. I had assumed that the primary reason for a function
such as this would be to teach us how to sponsor distributors and sell
the products. It was a little topsy turvy to say the least. There was a
little bit on how to prospect, nothing at all on how to sell Amway, and
95% of the event consisted of how to live our personal lives, and how we
were needed to turn our nation back to God. Dexter made no bones about
being a Christian. Personally I had no problem with that, but it seemed
just a little inappropriate to bring it up at a business meeting. At a
conventional business seminar, they teach you how to operate your
business, and not delve into your personal affairs.
This was just the opposite.

Dexter made a very contemptuous remark on people on welfare, which I
thought to be poorly thought out. Sure, there are well publicized cases
of welfare abuse, but what about the elderly, what about the disabled?
Seems you have to handle each situation on a case by case basis, not
just call them all lazy.

Still, Dexter and Birdie put on quite a show that night. It was very
moving to hear their rags to riches struggle. They seemed to imply that
if only I worked harder, then success would be right around the corner.
Returned home again at 8:00 A.M. resolving to push myself harder.

I was still troubled, though. I had gotten into the business because my
dream was to own a Mercedes Benz 600 Pullman. Their top of the line
model. At that time it retailed for $34,000.  That’s not much to pay for
a car these days, but it was almost thirty years ago. When I told Dexter
this was what I wanted, he immediately told me my car should be a
Cadillac. After all, how could I promote American Free Enterprise by
driving a foreign car? His logic seemed a little skewed to me. I drink
imported coffee, I drink imported whisky. Does that mean I don’t love
the U.S.A.? For cryin’ out loud! I thought this was a business where you
could be free!

Dropped by Bill Burch’s filling station (remember, he was the Pearl
Direct sponsored by Bill Britt?) and Bill Britt pulled into the service
bay very excited. He didn’t know I was there, so he blurted to Bill
Burch how he had just returned from Dexter Yager’s house, where Dexter
had shown him a suitcase with $150,000 in cash! After he noticed I had
overheard that remark, Bill Britt sternly admonished me to never mention
that to anyone! This is a business where we’re supposed to be
successful. Why the Hush Hush?

That night I did a little mental calculating. Dexter Yager was just a
Double Diamond back then. I guesstimated his Amway earnings to be
between $150-$200,000 a year.
Yet at the functions and rallies, he was talking about his lifestyle,
his cars, his vacations. There was no way he could live like that on
$200,000 a year! And if Amway only paid him that much, where did he get
that much in cash? I thought about the recent rally I attended. Must
have been twenty thousand people there. If each one paid fifteen
dollars, that’s $300,000 right there. And what about the books and tapes
he was selling? There was a lot more to this so-called "business" than
met the eye.

There was a lot that bothered me. My father took a dim view of the whole
set-up. He smelled a rat, I think. But since he would have been negative
about anything I might have pursued, I gave it little thought. At
another rally, Bill Britt flat out declared that anybody would have to
be an idiot not to see the Amway opportunity and get into it. I told
Bill about my father and he (Bill Britt) said I should write "My
father’s an idiot!" on paper and paste it on my bedroom wall. So much
for God’s commandment to "Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother!"

One of the main selling points of Amway products is that they are
biodegradable, causing less harm to the environment than the "negative"
products out there. It was ironic to me that here were these people
distributing such products, then turning around and buying huge numbers
of cars (I believe Dexter said he owned fifty cars!) to pollute the
environment.

Made the biggest mistake of my life back in April of 1972. I quit my
cashier’s job at Kroger, and resolved to do Amway full time. I had three
months salary saved up, and all the big-name distributors assured me I
could make direct in three months. "Very easily!"  Money was going to
run out then, so nobody can tell me I wasn’t motivated, or didn’t work
the business hard enough!

Three months later I was a real "broke loser" The people I sponsored
didn’t do the business, others dropped out. I was spinning myself into a
mudhole. Upliners assured me that success was just around the corner. It
was very humiliating when my first check bounced. That had never
happened to me before. I had no steady job, no income coming in. Yes, I
detested my job at Kroger, but at least I was getting paid every week
and my self esteem was still  intact. Bills were now coming in, and I
had to try to stall my creditors. It was winter and I dreaded being
evicted from my apartment. I had too much pride to return home.

In retrospect, I have nobody to blame but myself. No one in my upline
actually TOLD me to go quit my job! But it was the incessant downgrading
of jobs from people like Dexter and Bill Britt that encouraged me to do
that. I like a quote from Dexter:

"Nobody can make an intelligent decision without knowing ALL the facts!"
So far, so good. I have no quarrel with that statement. How  I wish the
NET had been available to me twenty-eight years ago. Then I could have
discovered:

Less than one distributor in a thousand makes in excess of $15,000 a
year.
Even if you make it to Direct, you can still have a loss due to
operating expenses. Don’t even think about quitting your job at this
point!

Your chances of making it to Diamond are about  one in ten thousand.
You can become a millionaire in Amway, but it won’t be from selling
products or sponsoring distributors. It will be from tape sales book
sales, speaker’s fees.

I consider those facts to be pretty important. I would have liked to
have known them.   Certainly anyone contemplating getting into Amway
would want to know them. Somehow I don’t think Sergeant Joe Friday (Just
the facts,  m’am) could have been a success as an Amway distributor!

In ‘73 I took a long look at what I had accomplished those two years.
Lost a job, ruptured relationships, a box of motivational cassettes,
making payments on a small Toyota, worrying about the rent. I did not
renew that year. But I did go to the A&P and bought my first "negative
product" in two years. Don’t know how to describe it but instinctively I
felt a real sense of freedom.

Got another job and slowly began to rebuild my life.

Epilogue

Does my story have a happy ending. Yes, Virginia, there IS life after
Amway! I’ve been with the U.S. Postal Service fifteen years, and run a
liquor store part time. You know what I love? No prospecting! Been
married almost fourteen years. My wife works full time and is a terrific
mother to our eleven year-old son. We live in a nice subdivision, take
nice trips, and give generously to our favorite charities. I drive a
late model Mark VIII that’s paid for. We have a net worth in excess of
$850,000, and earn over $100,000 a year.  Less than 1% of all the people
in Amway can make that statement.

Here’s to JOBS. Ain't’ it Great!

Thu, 20 Aug 1998

The link to the second "this page" referring to statistics returned an error
message.

Thu, 20 Aug 1998

Hi Russ,

Love your web page. These bastards should all be hung. I am writing because
at this point my wife and I have not renewed our distributorship. I had
always suspected something was not right with this scam. My problem is now,
we are trying to get a refund for our unopened tools. We tried for a month
to contact our upline ruby and emerald and they will not return our calls.
We proceeded to contact Amway on this matter and finally was able to talk to
someone who seemed to be willing to help us. The guy at Amway made us make a
list of all the tapes and books. This took my wife and me several hours
since we had so much of this crap. He requested that we fax him the list, so
we did. He called us back to tell us that he had spoken to our upline
emerald and that he was willing to buy our tools back. We were told to
contact him. We have now tried for 2 weeks to contact our emerald, but the
jerk will not return our calls. We have gone back to calling the guy at
Amway but he now won't return our calls. This BS has been going on for more
than 2 months now. We don't seem to be getting anywhere, and this could mean
almost $1000.00 for us.

We fell out of favor with our upline when we stopped going to those damned
meetings. The reason for our withdrawing from the system was mainly because
my wife was going through a very very difficult pregnancy, which ended up in
her giving birth to a very very handicapped little boy. This little boy was
given two weeks to live. He just had his 3rd birthday, so God is watching
out for him. He is still very critical and has to have 24 hour nursing and
relys on respirators to help him breath and all other types of life support.

Where was the support of the upline when we were going, and are still going
through this struggle?  NOWHERE!!! The bastards didn't even call to find out
how we were doing or inquire about the child. They really turned out to be
the worst scum that I had ever met. All I have to say is what goes around
comes around. I do not wish any ill tidings on them, but when they get their
just deserts I want to be there to see them squirm.

Good luck

Subject:  Amway - the silent killer

Fri, 21 Aug 1998

Well dude, I was out on the net looking for more ammo as we are losing my
mother-in-law and her husband to the evil empire. Great write up. Keep up
the programming too, I seem to make a decent living at it. If you want a
job doing Java work in Kansas City area let me know.

Anyway, I did a search of +amway +intervention hoping to find the right way
to do such a thing. Looks to be hopeless. They have been in it for 6 years
dumping between 200-$400 a month. I think they finally got a check last
month. That was the nail in the coffin for talking them out of it.

It is funny to read all the stuff. It applies to a 'T' to them on the
phone. They have lost all their friends and now only associate with amway
people. They have pissed off everyone in the family too. Very typical. We
just don't support them properly by only buying their products. Shoot me.

I was in no way interested in getting into amway so you did not save me but
you did let me know what a bitch it would be to talk some one out of it
that has been in it for all that cash and all those years. I may give up
and just ignore them or I may load up with more ammo. Wife wanted to hit a
meeting to "research" stuff - sounds like that is out of the question with
all the brain washing. I just don't have the time to "save" others as there
is so much programming stuff to read.

Keep it up, thanks for the info, live long and prosper and remember "A
friend is just an enemy who does not have the guts to kill you"

Subject:  My reply to your Amway page

Sat, 22 Aug 1998

Hi Russ-

I'm with you 100%.  We all need to unite to squash these devils - but your
reply to "letter of the month" was off the mark.  Maybe you can sort of adjust
it.  We have to be careful to come across as logical.

The poor ignorant writer was saying that Amway was the answer for poor people
who did NOT have family supports.  Your response was that he did not know you
and therefore should not have assumed that you did not have family supports.
Your response needs to address the fact that Amway should be the last choice
for ANYONE - supports or no supports, that most of the self made men in the
world got there in rational ways, not flying on a dream or a golden carrot
some crook is holding out to them.  He needs to be asked the question:  Do you
really think that if it were not for multi-level marketing scams like Amway,
that no poor people could make it in this world?  Your description of your
family wealth and support just fuels his fire and proves his point.  I know
you were probably just too hot to think clearly, but please go back and do
another.  We need lots of logic.  Thanks for sharing your story.  It is
exactly what I've been hearing.  Another tact is to get Christians to put
pressure on their pastors to address this fraud from the pulpit  --- get the
folks to make a choice.  Lots of Christians are harping on being harassed by
Amway distributers at their bible study groups.  If it wasn't so sad, it would
be humorous.  It is humorous, damn it.  But I think the Christian churches can
bring Amway down faster than anyone else.  It is only the cultist type of
christian who gets in and stays in.  A suggestion is to have all of your
friends write to the Christian networks about this and enlighten them to go to
the anti-amway networks for a dose of reality.  Good luck, Russell.  If we're
lucky, there will soon be a schism.  "Lets hear it for Amway, or lets hear it
for Jesus".  ho ho.

Subject:  Amway - definitely Scamway

Sun, 23 Aug 1998

Dear Russell

I have just spent the past while perusing you web site, and don't I feel
like a fool! That rather sinking feeling that has gripped me for some fine
has finally metamorphosized into a fully fledged paranoia... I've been
SCREWED!

As you probably know Amway placed its dirty little paws on my beautiful,
previously MLM free, country South Africa last August. A couple of months
ago I was sucked into the cess pool of avaraice and commercial Christianity
(What was that about Jesus kicking the traders out of the temple? Direct
marketing is that old?) and now I want out!

I have already begun my memoirs as a poor defencless prospected recruit and
perhaps one day I will open a web site, I mean, law suits are the BEST fun
aren't they? I must commend and praise you on efforts, they have saved one
poor idiot like me!

For any interesting dirt on Amway South Africa LLC please do not hesitate to
mail me! For instance, down South we have a 90% distributor failure rate -
over 30 000 recruits and we haven't produced a single diamond yet!

Cheers

*****
Benoni, South Africa

"Your brother against Amway"

Subject:  Andrew the Cynic

Mon, 24 Aug 1998

Greetings mate

I had a good laugh when I read your pages - I am also a computer major
(graduated) who had a brush with Amway last year.

Know this : your site is reaching many people. I found it from a link
in an online newspaper I read every day. And I have sent the URL to
all my friends who still live in South Africa (I have since left and
currently live in England).

Keep up the good work. It is my opinion that your crusade is a very
compasionate one (I know how easy it is to be motivated when one has
been bushwacked).

Tue, 25 Aug 1998

Please send me part one of your story - only read parts two and three and
don't have Internet access, only e-mail. Amway sounds like a ghastly
business! I nearly got caught up in their hysteria, too, a few months ago
in Cape Town. It was launched here in South Africa about two years back.
After a peculiar sales rally (which cost me a lot of money considering the
content!) I went home that night feeling desperately depressed and didn't
know why. Now I have a better understanding, having read your story!

Tue, 25 Aug 1998

everything you say does have some small grain of truth to it. did i mention
small?
my husband and i are in the amway business, we are new to the game but
although i was sceptical at first,  i actually like what it has done for
us.  the tapes
we recieved were not like what you described at all.  maybe that is because
amway actually has many different divisions, some of them almost worse than
having your tongue tied to the back of a 4x4 and being dragged through
shards of
glass naked.  the one we are in (international leadership development) is on
the up and up although they are a little too based in christian philosophy
for my taste.
nothing but good has happened to us since joining and although your
experience
may have been one of those that makes you want to slit your wrists,  i
assure you
not all things are created equal.
i will not criticise you for what you say, they are simply your opinions and
different
from what others may think.  but perhaps you should do some more research
before making sure that others know what you consider to be the gospel truth
about a business that you actually know nothing about.

Subject:  Finished your Scamway story...

Wed, 26 Aug 1998

Well-yes. Interesting; There was a cult called Breakthrough that sprung upon
my home town a few years ago that operated along similar lines, separation
of philosophies, almost divine worship of a leader, hugging, sleep
deprivation in the name of "training", and the compulsion to recruit others.
There were in fact three "courses" , named Breakthrough, Joyspring and The
Mile,each of which cost more than the one before. The sad part is that I was
absolutely not interested and many of my friends - and girlfriend - were,
this resulted in an "us and them" situation where suddenly I was an enemy!!.
This cult was run by an allegedly failed Israeli surgeon by the name of
Baruch Banai.Any way, I ramble, but Amway is starting to spread here in
South Africa not that I care much until someone I love gets invulved and
then I will try some rather direct action.
regards

Subject:  Your Amway story (it's not a flame)

Wed, 26 Aug 1998

This is to congratulate you on the time and effort you have taken to
provide an excellent description of the methods and tactics Amway uses
to promote it's business.

Amway has recently expanded into South Africa and I'm alarmed at the
success rate they are experiencing amongst middle-class people, who are
in general christian, trusting, and absolutely unfamiliar with pyramidal
schemes and MLM. The tactics Amway applies here are an exact copy, down
to the smallest detail, of what you described.

I was only shocked when a respected senior programmer from the company I
work for introduced me in the same way as you described it into what
ended up being mindless and cultist ra-ra meeting led by an american
"diamond" or whatever they call it.

I'm afraid that my colleague is beyond salvation in his seniority and
intellectual arrogance, as well as his hopes of being richer and
retiring sooner (and party in Paris, hang out in the Bahamas, Learjet,
etc..), but gladly, numerous people will be able to make the right
choice after having consulted documents on the web, of which yours is
certainly one of the best.

Regards,

*****
Development Engineer
Cape Town

Wed, 26 Aug 1998

Loved it.  We recently had a fraternity brother crawl up from out of the
woodwork.  We thought he just really missed us and wanted to meet our
daughter and stuff.  But at the end of the night, he pitched us Amway.
Yuck....I felt so dirty and used.
My poor husband, being sensitive to income issues and willing to listen with
utmost faith to his very own pledge father was almost hooked.
At least he bought us a new houseplant.  And a cake....I'm pregnant so I ate
the cake with no guilt or remorse.  When he comes to pick up his tapes on
Sunday, I'm going to tell him to insert them, sans lubricant.

Subject:  heh heh

Thu, 27 Aug 1998

Russell,

Did I spell your name right?

I have never had any affiliation with Amway but for some strange reason
I've taken a very bizzare and intense interest in anti-Amway web pages.
I'm even considering adding some anti-Amway stuff to my personal web
page.

I totally dug your web page and just wanted to let you know that this
line:

Had they told me "You can work this job 40 hours a week for ten to
twenty years and you'll be rich!" I would have sprayed their little
Sweet Shot bottles right in their faces.

made me laugh hard enough to cause tears to run down my face.  My former
in-laws were distributors, so I know what "Sweet Shot" is.  I just got a
mental image of you spraying into peoples faces and I haven't stopped
laughing since.

Now that you think I'm a complete mental patient, I'll you get back to
your life & read the rest of your mail...

Anyway, I really enjoyed your web page and wish you and Gina much
happiness in life.  Not that you could ever expect to acheive any degree
of happiness without Amway in your lives...

Later gator,

Subject:  Read your web page - thanks

Fri, 28 Aug 1998

Dear Mr. Glasser,

this is to let me know that I was contacted by Amway people and
reading your excellent web page corrected my perspective.

Like you, I'm in the computer programming business and working my way up
the regular way. And so I will continue...

Greetings from Vienna, Austria

Thu, 27 Aug 1998

Dear Russell,

You reached us loud and clear!!!!  No soap for us.

Fri, 28 Aug 1998

Phew! OK, I didn't read it all, but I spent much more time here than I
intended. We share a disgust for this "excuse for a business", although
for different reasons. Although never directly involved, I watched (in
amazement) as an ex-boyfriend became interested, became intense, then
became obsessed with The Plan, dream-building, tapes, rallies, meetings,
products, uplines, Diamonds, his J-O-B, etc etc etc. After a year he was
down several thousand dollars, and more determined than ever. I did the
only thing I could. I left a good, kind (albeit naiive) guy, never to
return. I do my small part now, by emailing warnings to anyone who bites
on solicitations for information, usually on bulletin boards and message
forums. I've been pleasantly surprised at the positive responses and
appreciation for my small efforts. Keep up the good fight - I intend to.

Fri, 28 Aug 1998

Thank you for all the information on the Website. My husband and I have been
approached by some people several times and it wasn't until our second meeting
with them that we really knew it was Amway they were talking about. We had
many concerns and unanswered questions and your information has helped us
decide this is not right for us at this time. We were told that they had their
own business and that it was helping other small business to diversify and
teach people skills and how to manage and grow their business. We were also
told that they did consulting. We thought it was something completly different
we were looking into.
Again thank you for your time in preparing this sight

Fri, 28 Aug 1998

Hi. I found your experience with "Ted" and "Phil" to be VERY unsettling. As
a currently non-active Amway Distributor, I've been there and seen most of
it.
It's a shame that some people have to resort to Brain-Washing and other
forms of manipulation in an atttempt to "control" their successes.

I will admit, I haven't seen much money in the Amway business. I stopped
getting the tapes shipped to me regularly, because, like you mentioned,
they all seem to spout the same hype.  But I enjoy reading the books, so I
continue to get them sent monthly.
They are ususally titles that wouldn't otherwise come to my attention.

As with any business, the individual owner runs it however they see fit.
It's a disgrace to see money-hungry vultures preying on the hopes and
dreams of others.

My husband and I are currently expecting our first child. As
soon-to-be-parents, we recognize the value in becoming a good role-model.
Children tend to watch what their parents to rather than listen to what
they say.

I am currently debating giving my Amway business another shot. I like my
sponsors as people. I approached them out of curiosity about what they did.
 They were patient and kind and answered all of my questions to my
satisfaction. I should say that this is my second time around. The first
time I was in college and got pressured into it by some friends who didn't
know anything, but had tremendous faith in something they couldn't explain.

I believe the main problem with the current Amway system is that there are
2 sparate entities involved. There is the Amway corporation which dictates
rules for conduct and provides access to products. They have a limited
inventory of motivational materials and mostly support the distributor in
moving products. Like a good business does/should. Their focus is on
becoming the best business opportunity available.

Then there is the "System" company. This is the organization that supplies
the tapes and runs the seminars. These are the people that focus on getting
others involved and showing you have to to do it. Sometimes the directions
get very specific in what to do and what not to do.

By ignoring the "System" company the Amway corporation would not have
nearly as much success in their recruitment. However, if they did so. They
may have better qualities of distributors. Those who are genuinely
interested in others and not just how to get rich off of them.

This time around, I am not going to attend seminars unless I feel like it.
If I have any questions about how to run my business successfully, I will
direct them to the Amway Corporation and not to the hype-mongers.

I feel confident in my ability to develop myself as a person of integrity
as I possess clear intentions and am looking to be a better person, rich or
poor.

I have dealt with several MLM's over the years from Mary-Kay to Amway. I
enjoy cosmetics and sharing my abilities with others. If I can make some
money doing it within a flexible schedule then all the better. If someone
wants to join my organization, I will be happy to have them.  But if
someone wants to get rich my abusing their position and using people, I
will direct them elsewhere.  I may not get rich this way, but at least I
will enjoy what I'm doing and display the type of integrity my children can
look up to.

I'm only sorry that everyone in the Amway business doesn't feel the same.

P.S. If you ever need any cosmetics...

Fri, 28 Aug 1998

Yes, I finished your Amway story and it was very absorbing, illuminating
and well written.
Too bad Amway gave MLM a bad image because there are a number of
companies that use MLM to sell their excellant products such as Big
Planet; www.bigplanet.com.

Fri, 28 Aug 1998

it's too bad you know nothing about the amway business  you have been
brain washed by your girlfriend who also knows nothing except she wanted
to control her husband. you may not be amway material but i suggest that
you put your time into something that will make you some money instead
of bashing something you almost was involved in please you can't be
serious

Sat, 29 Aug 1998

Phil was wrong, you have succeeded.  One of my associates at work fed me
the Amway scam but after reading your story, I know now to "just say no"
to Amway.  I will tell my associate that I'm not interested.  I thank
you for telling the truth about Amway on your webpage before my "friend"
could suck me into ScAmway.

Sun, 30 Aug 1998

hello
Thank you very much for all you wrote about Amway.

Subject:  I call it Damway

Mon, 31 Aug 1998

I just wanted to let you know that your story was fantastic!  At least the
parts of it that were left.  My husband was snatched into the business in 1989
when we were both in our junior year of college.  I had never heard of
Amway...until he was in it hook,line and sinker.  I went to several meetings
with him and was bored out of my skull.  I knew after just a few visits that
there was something really creepy about all of these "let me help you get
rich" people, but I could never convince my husband (I have never seen
something take such a hard fast grip on someone).  I wish that I had had some
critical information (truth) on it back then.  After nine years of me being
totally stubborn and putting up with the negative wife gig, I am slowly
deprogramming my husband ...after all I do love him and Amway was not going to
take him away.  I decided to just stop hounding him about it....the harder I
would try to get him out, the harder he fought to stay in...so, finally it
became a subject we just cannot even mention.  He has not been to one single
meeting,function, reunion, etc.... in over a year. He still receives tapes
from his sponsors but they are all untouched (still in the plastic wrap).  He
has actually even uttered a few negative words (not about Amway of course) but
still it's a sign of his own thinking.  We have stopped buying products
completely!  He is actually focused on being a chemical engineer!  As I said,
we do not speak of it and there is a fear that he may revert, because he never
promised to quit, but  this is the only way I could deal with it without
straining our marriage.  I think  Amway is a very scary organization and I
resent the way that they tried to come into my marriage and tell me that I was
a negative dream-stealing wife.  It has been a long hard fight but I will
continue at any cost.  So I say thank you for warning people.....before it
takes them 9-10 years to deprogram.

Sincerely,
An Anti-Amway wife

31 Aug 98 06:24:26

  Hi Russell

this note is just for you. Please don't post my name or my email if you
decide to put this up. Unfortunately, down here in Asia, freedom of
expression is like the "open-door" policy in most companies - often mentioned
but never really practiced. And although I appreciate the site you have set
up and the service you are providing, I don't relish having to filter all my
email from distributors here in the region. I'd rather concentrate of joining
the rest of the "losers" in the workforce. But I do think that some reference
should be made about their efforts in Asia. Fine, MLM has been banned in
China.  But with the rest of the region in the dumps, I'll bet that Amway is
licking their lips at the opportunities here. As the saying goes, "the fields
are ready to be harvested."  - Isky

(I'm writing this especially to those in South East Asia - where I am from -
who might be considering jumping onto the Amway bandwagon. In the current
economic times, the "opportunities" that the "sponsors" are dangling in front
of you are definitely too good resist. This is not a letter to say "don't do
it" (well..kinda), but this is a letter to ask you to "think hard... think
REALLY hard."

Wanted to say thanks (to this site) for opening up my eyes to what's really
going on. Was approached by someone I knew to join what was initially
referred to as "interactive distribution", a new "business opportunity". When
I started asking a few questions, the response was "no, this is not MLM", and
"no, you don't have to sell".

Needless to say, the name Amway only came up much later into the
conversation.  In between, I was dragged into a convoluted, drawn-out,
4-point diagrammatic description of why I will retire with no savings (with a
real job) and will instead have to work another 10 years past retirement age
so that I can live out the rest of my natural life with food on my plate. Ok,
that's a little over-dramatized, but that's pretty much how it came across.
At that point , I knew I was being given the sales spiel / process, and all I
remember thinking was.. "get to the point". The "point", unfortunately, was
Amway.  So, OK, even after I heard it was Amway, I told myself, "keep an open
mind about it". After all, some of the things they said made some sense. By
the way, the initial marketing spiel... part A of the Yager system was:

** get a JOB, and you'll never have enough. Wouldn't you want to be a
millionaire?

** middlemen are getting cut out from the business process. Now,
manufacturers and producers can go straight to the consumers through hyper
marts and warehouse sales. This is the trend of the future, and in the
future, products from manufacturers and producers will move through
"brokers".

** make money by doing nothing..make money when someone uses a product
through the "interactive distribution" scheme... aka Amway, the wave of the
future

** some vision of how everything can soon be bought through Amway
(partnerships), using advanced technology and e-commerce.

I was sitting there, tossing between letting them finish or just cutting it
short and saying "thanks, but no thanks." I let them finish. Honestly, and
those who have been in it can attest, the presentation can be persuasive.
They hit all the right buttons - financial independence, achieving your
dream, retire early, blah blah. So after a few questions, they tried to get
me to sign up for a presentation the following week (thank goodness I was
busy), but I got the distinct impressions that meetings went on quite
regularly so "I'll always be able to find time for one".

Came back from that discussion, read the materials, listened to a few tapes,

and skimmed through the book (all loaned to me). I said to myself "this is
all too good to be true...sounds to easy". That's when I decided to do some
internet sleuthing. To be fair, I looked at both sides - for and against. But
I am glad to say, after a (short) time, I decided that this wasn't it for me.

So, if anyone out there is thinking about this... think hard. Right now,
though, I have a bunch of comments, remarks, and questions to put out:

1) if they tell you it's not MLM, or that you don't have to sell anything,
they are BS'ing you. Call it whatever you want - networking marketing /
selling, interactive distribution.. it's still MLM. As for not having to sell
anything, sure.. but don't expect any money coming your way. They use the
euphemism of "educating consumers of new buying habits". More BS. The way I
see it, even if you don't sell the product, you have to sell the dream. It's
still "selling". It's funny how they can't be upfront about all this. Why all
the sneaky, slimy tactics to get people to listen? It should say something
about the business (and most other businesses using the MLM format) when the
mere mention of the name sends people running for cover. Personally, I can't
take pride in that.

2) When they tell you their system eliminates the middle men and transfers
savings to you and the consumers, think again... real
hard. They may call themselves "brokers", but they are still the middle men...
lots of them all the way up the line. The way I see
it, it's not likely that the "middleman" function will ever be eliminated.
What will happen through time and with technology is that
this layer will be reduced. People have various needs for products, and they
will want to buy them all in a convenient location
i.e.. supermarket / convenience store / hyper mart, etc. But economies of
scales will force companies to focus (watch of for)

Mon, 31 Aug 1998

hi, my sister in law was in amway for 5 or 6 years , now she is out, she was
told that there was a way to return the nearly 5oo tapes and video cassettes
she has and get back up to 90 percennt of what she paid for them, do you
know how to go about this? any help would be appreciated, thank you

Tue, 1 Sep 1998

Dear Ginny : As I was reading your heart wrenching story ,I could hardlysee
for the tears forming in my eyes. You see I have so many similar incidence
in our lives.We have been in the Amway business for two years now and I can
sympathize with what you said.BUT I did not go to any convention I did not
want to go to or felt we could not afford.Just because my upline says we
should go doesnt mean we go.Make your own decisions about your business. My
husband has gone to a few dream weekennds that I have not because I did not
want to leave the kids.It sounds like you chose a babysitter that you were
not comfortable with,THATS YOUR FAULT NOT AMWAYS.  Amway did not make you
speed or not sleep and continue to drive that was a conscious choice you and
your husband made. All of this goes back to the old adage your mother may
have said;If Billy jumped off a bridge would you too.Come on Ginny your are
reallly mad at yourself and obviously your husband of the time for making
some personal bad choices tha t have nothing to do with Amway.If you had run
your business the way you thought you should have and had your own mind you
would have al ot better things to do than tell the whole world about a woman
in the Amway business coming on to your husband and blaming it on Amway as
opposed to her own poor moral charachter ,her poor marriage and in theend
your own .Give credit where credit is do and acccept responsibilty for your
own actions.

Wed, 2 Sep 1998

Hi.  I just read your story.  I have a cousin who (I just found out) has
sold all of the stock left to him by his father and is about to go with his
wife to the 'big meeting' in North Carolina this coming weekend.  His mother
is convinced that he's losing everything to AMWAY, and yet he's sure of his
decision and is now talking about getting other people into the program as
the way to really make money.  (He's be in about 3 years.)  This cousin is
so shy he hardly speaks to relatives, much less friends or strangers.  I
can't believe that he's doing well, and I hate to see him lose even more
money.  Are there any support groups to help de-program people like him?  He
lives in Mississippi.  Even if you can't help, it's nice to know that there
are websites like yours to share real experiences.  Thanks.

Thu, 03 Sep 1998

Russell,

I just wanted you to know that some of your links on this story are not
either up or moved.  I am relating to the links for the financial
information regarding Amway.

I read your whole story from start to finish and found it very
interesting.

Just to let you know, I have spent the last eight hours reading SCAMWAY
stories from all over the world (btw. I am a programmer to and work for
one of the worlds largest software companies in PA.) and I must admit
that I am interested in seeing if this will happen to me.

I know that this has happened to you more that a year ago, BUT I have
had mutiple jobs out there and I know what it is like to have the good
old fashion mentality of hard work.  I work between 50 to 65 hours a
week and lead projects that make profits of excess of 100,000 dollars a
year. I do not see any of it.  I know the old saying 'if it looks to
good to be true'.  Who know maybe it is.

Currently I am in Amway (just joined).  Relatives brought me in.  Also I
am a former Green Bret and hold various black belts in Martial Arts.
Needless to say if I find that half of this happens to me, I will feel
bad for the Amway people!!!  NOTE: I have been seen chasing business
people down the coorporate hallways of my company.

Well anyway,

Success to you.

Subject:  Scamway

Thu, 03 Sep 1998

Dear Russell,

Let me relate to you my own experiences with Amway. I know a Doctor who
was a colleague of my wife(who is also an MD). My wife and I are also
good friends with his wife. He has been an Ambot for over ten years now.
He has lost his wife(she couldn't stand his obsession), his kids(went
with his wife), his house(wife again), his job(was fired from his
position at the hospital for dereliction of work(spent all of his time
on Amway) and misconduct(you guessed it! trying to recruit his
patients)and I fear he may be losing his mind. He now works in a clinic
and earns a fraction of his former salary. This should not concern him
due to his fabulous Amway income right? Wrong! His wife has told me that
the best monthly Amway-generated income he ever had was $3200 after
expenses. If that sounds like a lot of money let me point out that at
BEST(some months he makes less than $1000) that works out to 38,400
taxable dollars/year. His salary before he was fired was well over
$300,000/year! Despite the fact that he constantly harassed me to join
Amway, I still felt sorry for him and decided to try and rescue him. I
downloaded stacks of TRUTHFUL Amway information (like your site) from
the net. I sent it to him and guess what I got in reward for my concern?
A ten-minute lunatic raving message on my answering machine, complete
with four-letter words, Amway propaganda and a promise never to speak to
me again. The answering machine tape is being used by his wife in their
divorce proceedings.
We play the tape at parties and laugh ourselves silly. If this sounds
cruel let me ask you this: Is it any crueler than abandoning your family
and friends for a cult of ignorance and greed?

                  Keep up the good fight,

P.S.-He has blamed his lack of success in Amway on his wife, claiming
that she was not supportive of his efforts. He has admitted that this
line of reasoning/rationalization came from his "up-line".

Fri, 04 Sep 1998

I've done alot of research on Amway....I've only met with them twice
now.  Just want to say thanks for the help.  I have not signed up and
am out as of right now.  You ARE making a difference.

Thanks Again,

Sat, 5 Sep 1998

I joined Amway because one of my residency directors introduced me into it.
As a medical resident at that time I was getting paid below minimum and was
being overworked by the hospital legally.  That was 6 years ago.  I just
finished my last soap product that came with my fee.  I currently make a 6
figure annual income in my job as a physician.  I never made a penny in Amway.
I made money however in other network marketing companies.  Amway is a front
loader with poor direct sales compensation plan where the money is made mostly
by it and not its members.

I am currently involved with Utility Service Alliance Marketing Group and
Wealth Team USA - both are network marketing. I made about $2000 profit within
one month.  I have no tapes to sell and no meetings that need to be attended.

I really comment you on your informative story.  I just want you to know that
not Amway is not the only way.

Sun, 06 Sep 1998

Thank you for your very entertaining story on "The Amway Cult".
Hopefully, it will save a good friend of mine from becoming consumed by
their promises of achieving your "Dreams" via expensive homes and cars.
I met with her under the pretense that she wanted to "go over" some
business stuff since I had been a successful businesswoman ( I've since
retired to the wonderful world of motherhood...and I wouldn't trade that
in for a Rolls Royce or a swimming pool...). Of course, the books and
tapes appeared at our table over coffee and croissants....I listened and
told her all about pyramid schemes ( by the way...the word Amway never
came up.  The term "interactive distribution" or something like that
seems to be the new buzzword so most people won't be turned off right
away...).  Anyway...I too, like you, decided to check the Net for some
more info ( I never intended to read the books or listen to the
tapes)...I've found tons of good information ( Sidney Schwartz' page is
currently up and running...).  Once again- Thanks! I hope we can save
her.   Retired and Loving it....

Mon, 07 Sep 1998

You didn't really try.

Mon, 7 Sep 1998

Russell,
   Hi! I just wanted to tell you that I agree with your Amway
page 100%. I just got a call from a old friend from high school
that wanted me to take a look at the business. Like you I thought
there was something kind of creepy going on. I went to a meeting but I
drove myself and sat in the parking lot watching these middle aged,
conservative, white folks getting out of their limos and caddys and
all that. I looked down at my jeans and sneakers, my ten year old car,
started my car and drove away. That was about 10 years ago but I still
get the creeps when I think about it. I had forgetten all about that
incident until I read your webpage. I was tempted at first because I
have gotten into MLM and Network Marketting and their is excellant
potential to make money. But I don't have to go all over God's
creation and call up everyone I ever knew. I use the internet, cause
that is the way to go. I was going to build an Amway page and was
looking for info when I found your page and your right. So I will
concentrate on the things I already do and write that one off. Thanks
for waking me up!

ps Your cat is adorable! I have a grey tabby that loves to sit up on
my shoulders too. See refuses to leave the house unless she is up on
my shoulders. Must be a tabby thing!

Tue, 08 Sep 1998

Russel,

Thanks for all the information.  My wife and I just joined Amway a month
ago.  We both had several BAD experiences in the past by money grubbing
geeks.  We vowed NEVER to join based on those people.  We had the same
type of experience you had with Phil.  That really sucked.  With all
that I have read in the last month on Amway, I decided to try it out
with a twist.  I realized that going to functions and ordering tapes and
books are a Huge waste of money.  If a person can be self motivated then
he/she may be able to succeed.  I will give it a shot for a while just
to see what happens.  Our upline and his downlines that we have met are
actually pretty cool people.  There are however, based on odds, has to
be some freaks involved.  As long as we steer clear and do our thing
maybe things will work.  I am very skeptical but I have always been the
one to learn the hard way.
Take care,

Wed, 09 Sep 1998

Ginny,

Too bad you have had such an experience.  Funny thing, scum bags are
everywhere.

Subject:  John Sestina

Wed, 9 Sep 1998

I want to first of all thank you very much for your work on this web site.  I
think of you as very generous to donate your time to help others educate
themselves on MLMs.  I myself have been approached on 3-4 separate occasions,
and have had very bad experiences.

However, what really piqued my interest was on the mentioning of a financial
planner endorsing this system, namely John Sestina.  The reason for the
interest is that I am a financial planner and I could not believe that there
could be a planner out there (namely a top planner) that would endorse this
type of company.

I don't expect you to go to any lengthly details since I'm sure you get
inundated with e-mails, but can you elaborate on who exactly this John Sestina
is and what exactly did he say?  I would greatly appreciate a response.  Thank
you for your  time.

Subject:  Re: John Sestina

Wed, 09 Sep 1998

David,

        Here is a recap of the role John Sestina has had in my story and elsewhere
web page.  When I was prospected for Amway, the first tape I received was this
"Building a bright future in the 21st century" thing (or whatever).  I
believed he was also mentioned again in the book I read.  Phil brought up his
name once more in our final meeting together.  Searching my mail, I find that
8 out of 30 pages contain a reference to his name somewhere.
        Here is what I understand of Sestina and his connection to Amway.  Sestina
appears to have solid standing as a credible financial planner, at least
assuming that the things I read on his web site are true.  (I did a search on
Alta Vista and came up with http://www.sestinanetwork.com, a typical
self-aggrandizing page.)  One of the items says "He has been named one of the
'Best Financial  Advisors' for two years in a row in WORTH magazine's rigorous
nationwide search."  I myself am not familiar with Worth magazine or its
criteria for best financial planners.
        According to Amway legend, Sestina studied Amway and said something to the
effect that it was the only business opportunity that he would like to
recommend that everyone get involved in.  Sestina is himself a high level
distributor, diamond or above.  Amway folklore says that he made this quote
before he was a diamond, but I would be dubious about the possible existence
of ulterior motives.  Considering the 99% failure rate among distributors
(those who do not turn a profit after system expenses), it seems odd that an
unbiased expert would claim to recommend it to everyone.  On the other hand,
it seems absolutely logical that a diamond (who relies on a large audience to
make his money) would -- see my point?
        As one of my readers commented, Sestina appears to be the only financial
expert who is ever cited by Amway.  "In Sestina's case, he joined and reached
Diamond.  SO WHAT?!  Get a grip folks!!  How many award-winning financial
planners would, after considered analysis, unequivocally reject the Britt
system as a business vehicle tenable for a broad base of the workforce? I'll
bet it's a lot more than just one."  (Mail group 5, December 13 1996)
        Since you yourself are a financial planner, I would hazard a guess that you
are in a much better position to find out about Sestina and his motivations
than I.  If you care to go looking into the field, and you dig up anything
interesting, I would love to hear from you again.

Wed, 09 Sep 1998

Congratulations!!

I am from Ljubljana, Slovenia.

Yesterday my relative invited me on such a "misterious" meeting for the
first time. As a main speaker there was a man from whom I got gonoreia
thirty years ago by the girl I had after him. This was the first rason i
became suspisious. After his talking about all that shit about dreams
and money, I know from previous pyramidal games which started in our
country  after the fall of communism and of which some were out of
Slovenian law, at the end there came nearly one hour of presentation of
all that people who succeeded in that "business". It reminded me on a
protestant sermon which I incidentally attended years ago, where people
were coming on the stage and witness how they were ill and crippled and
became healthy after they recognised the God.

Of course today I looked at the internet and found your page. Great job.
If you don't mind I will use it meybe to save my relative and other
"poor souls".

Excuse my English.

Wed, 9 Sep 1998

I just want to write and say what a wonderful site you have. I am though
searching for a site made by *****.
 I hear he was a ex- ruby or emerald then left the "business."
I am dying to hear what he has to say.
     The only good thing about Amway is the products, and yes the
distributor's. I don't blame the latter, I blame the organization. The
distributor's are nice, hard working people who have failed miserably in
life, in business, and in their personal affairs. Then a billion dollar
organization comes along and wants to "get you rich," they rent out theme
parks and persuade you to nightmare weekends, BUT! They are tax
deductible!!!
     That's the catch. Tax deduction. These people, (Amway distributor's)
are already in debt from everything and the thought of lowering their taxes
seems like a dream, a way out of debt.
      I never went on a dream weekend, but I went to seminars. I was told by
my upline that "No one makes any money from the tapes and seminars!" Even
Diamond speaker spew that garbage. Then recently, I get a form from Amway. I
have to reapply to remain as a distributor. I was told by my upline that
once I join, I don't have to pay any fees or reapply!!
     Then, in fine print on the application form, the same form I signed six
months ago but was somewhat persuaded not to read, was the phrase: Some
distributors earn income from the sale of BSM'S (business support materials,
which is the tape of the month!!!)
     At least it is tax deductible! Thank god for that. I think we should
re-name Amway to Lieway. What's your suggestion?
     Well, I'm sure you've heard it before, but I just find it funny, and
yet I feel a bit of sadness for the ones who stick to the "Plan." I found
them to be good, hard working people who were just unlucky in life. Amway
exploited these people to the Max.
     So please, if you can, send me information on the Jeff phrombert web
site if you can.
      Good luck on life, remain healthy and respect your own individuality.

Subject:  Amway and tax deduction

Thu, 10 Sep 1998

I would be sorry to have to break your last illusion about Amway's legitimacy
as a business opportunity, but the so-called tax benefits of Amway are not
what they are cracked up to be.  I am appending below the text of an IRS
position paper that addresses common abuses by Amway distributors.  Those
distributors who get called in for audits almost invariably find themselves in
for a heavy penalty.

I'm not saying that any particular distributor is ever guaranteed to be called
in for a tax audit, but they should at least be aware that the tax deductions
that upline distributors advise them to claim amount to little more than
fraudulent evasion.

Subject:  homepage

Thu, 10 Sep 1998

Nothing truly important here...if you have anything truly urgent to do,
such as, oh I don't know, cleaning out the lint trap in the dryer,I
would recommend doing that first.

I found you homepage via the (yes you guessed it) Amway page.  I too had
an ugly, and unfortunatley rather long stint there.  Praise be to God, I
have since moved on.  Your homepage is a HOOT, best of luck to you in
the future.

Fri, 11 Sep 1998

You know Ginny, I'm not even involved in Amway, but the lack of money to even
afford gas to get to the convention, coupled with your desire to be with your
child the whole time, basically paints the picture that you aren't a motivated
person anyway......so Amway isn't your cup of tea..............

I bet no job is.

Subject:  Nice Website - well done...

Sun, 13 Sep 98

Russ,

To begin - my compliments. Your story is well documented and thoughtfully
put together.

Wy wife and I are currently wrapping up our second year as Amway
Distrubutors. To answer your immediate question, No. We have not yet made
back the money that we have spent on educational and motivational
materials. Do I think we will? Yes. When? I don't know. Is there a chance
that we won't? YES.

But...

Ignoring all of the detailed information you gathered regarding AC's
Sales and Marketing Plan, can we agree that, if someone were to work hard
enough, and be positive long enough, and dream big enough, he could build
a very profitable Amway business?

If you answered no, you can stop reading now.

If you answered yes, than you have my respect as a thoughtful and honest
person.

Agreeing on that, we can move on to my point. The absolute BEST thing I
can say about my Amway business is this: It puts me in touch with a group
of positive, motivated people who do not avoid their problems, rather
they *expect* them, and work together to overcome them.

I see a *big* differece between calling something a "challenge" and a
"problem." I am a healthier person because of my Amway business.
(physically, too - my sponsor (who has quit) is a personal trainer!) I
really do read the books that my upline reccomends, then my wife reads
them, and then I often lend them to my family, my students, my downline
(many of them buy them, many don't), etc. Re-reading "How to Win Friends
and Influence People" every month has done wonders for my marriage,
earned me more money at my day job, and made my days brighter.

Amway was not what you needed when you had your experience. The most
tragic part of your story is how you and Ted no longer communicate.
That's a shame. I had a close friend who was interested in the business
when I prospected him and his wife. They saw the plan, thought it over,
bought a kit then did nothing else. I went to their house to set up a
standing order for them, but it turned out that the credit card they gave
me was invalid. When I called them back to get a new number, they were
never home. Only months later did I discover that they had gotten caller
ID just to avoid speaking to me!

All of that bother and fuss could have been avoided if they simply told
me that they were not interested. But they didn't. The experience pains
me, but it was not the fault of me or my business. They were either too
ashamed of what they considered to be an error (getting in) or too scared
of 'offending me' (I wouldn't have been). Either way, their fear and/or
shame cost me a friendship.

I'd like to think that I'm one of the honest distributors you discuss on
your website. I know that I'm in this thing for the long run, and I hope
that it works for me. As the "cultists' say, it'll work if I work it.

The bottom line is that people all over the world spend a lot of money on
stupid stuff every day. Most of them believe that the business
opportunity (or weight-loss program, or exercise equipment, or music club
plan, or motivational tape set, etc) will be just the thing they need to
'turn it around.'

When I prospect people, that is the exact same thing I am hoping: That I
have found someone, like me, who will thrive in this system and gain from
it, both financially and otherwise. Amway was not what you needed when
you had your experience. It's a good thing that you got out.

I hope that you have found whatever it is that makes you happy.

Best wishes,

*****
English Teacher
Amway Distributor

Subject:  Pro-AC site

Sun, 13 Sep 98

>Your web page here:
>I want to see more pro-Amway sites crop up so people
>can do an honest comparison...If you've seen any other good
>places for me to link here, please pass them along and I'll add them
>when I get around to it.

Here's one of my favorites:

http://www.ezonline.com/eagle01/

He also publishes an e-newsleter which you can subscribe to. He sends it
out periodically, explaining the updates to his page. Pardon the
design...  ;)

That is already the first link under "pro-Amway sites". When I said "new," I assumed the implication "sites that are not already linked" was pretty clear. Guess I was wrong again.

Sat, 12 Sep 1998

Mr.Glasser,

Bravo sir on a fantastic story.I must say one of the best moves (buying a
P.C.)that I have made in the last 2 months,has saved me from one of the
worst.Today an Amway rep. spoke to my wife & I.We were both interested.This
evening I decided to "check out " Amway.Quite simply what do you or anyone
else have to gain by spreading these "untruths" about Amway?  Thanks to you
and a few other sites I'm saying go

Page 33